When it comes to hair removal, there are a few options available. Shaving offers a quick solution, however, hair grows back in a matter of days. Waxing or sugaring is an effective option that removes the hair at the root and won’t grow back for weeks, but it can be a painful process. Another option that is gaining popularity in Calgary is laser hair removal, a permanent process that minimizes hair growth.
How Does Laser Hair Removal Work?
Laser hair removal requires a hand-held laser device that sends out pulsating light on the skin. The technician sets the laser to detect melanin (the thing that gives our skin and hair colour) and aims for the papilla or the root of the hair. When the laser hits the papilla, the melanin explodes thereby damaging or destroying the papilla. After the treatment, the hair will begin to fall out within 10-14 days.
What are the Pros of Laser Hair Removal?
1. It’s a safe semi-permanent procedure that drastically reduces hair growth.
2. It can be done anywhere on the body including underarms, legs, back, bikini line, stomach, and face. Large areas can be treated all at once and spot removal is a quick process.
3. The procedure is less painful than waxing. A professional technician will use ultrasound gel for pain reduction.
4. Lasers can reduce hair count by 40-80%. Hair regrows slower, finer and lighter, which is less noticeable and requires less shaving or waxing.
5. Unlike some treatments, you don’t need to grow your hair before the procedure for removal to be effective. In fact shaving the night before the treatment is recommended.
What Are The Cons Of Laser Hair Removal?
1. Because hair grows in different stages (anagen, catagen and telogen), multiple treatments are needed for laser hair removal. Depending on the size of the area, six to eight sessions on a set schedule are required for the procedure to be effective.
2. With multiple treatments, it can be expensive. However, with the cost savings from waving and shaving, laser hair removal is often seen as an investment.
3. Laser hair removal targets dark pigments in the hair, so to have darker skin used to be a contraindication but if your technician has and: Yag laser, even the darkest of skin types can now receive laser hair removal.
4. It can be a long process. Six to eight weeks is the general recommendation for each session.
5. Although not a common side effect, burns or scars can occur if the procedure is done by an untrained technician.
Laser hair removal is an effective option for permanent hair removal. It is safe, painless, and quick. To ensure that you’re getting quality treatment, be sure that the technician you choose in Calgary is certified, trained, and experienced.